Official Rules + Terms – Citizine Networks, Inc.
2020 Travel Video Awards (TVAs)
Citizine Networks, Inc. (www.citizine.tv) (“Citizine”) and the the Travel Video Alliance (“TVA”) are proud to announce the 3rd annual Travel Video Awards (“TVAs”), presented by the National Association of Broadcasters (“NAB”). The Travel Video Awards is an international competition featuring both independent and industry/brand-created videos as well as mix media “stories” from the Steller.co (“Steller”) website, which showcase incredible destinations, journeys and travel stories (“Programs”). The TVAs seek to honor and recognize those individuals and companies who created these Programs worldwide. The TVAs consist of three competition tracks: INDEPENDENT, INDUSTRY and a separate STELLER AWARDS program.
- In the “INDEPENDENT” competition track, independent filmmakers will be eligible to submit non fully sponsored Programs in the following main categories – “Wanderlust”, “Hosted”,”Documentary”; and new special categories – “Culinary”, “Adventure Travel”, “VR/360” and “Drone”.
- In the “INDUSTRY” competition track, travel industry brands and non-travel industry brands will be eligible to submit their Programs in the following main categories – “Best Video by a Cruise Line”, “Best Video by an Airline”, “Best Video by a Hospitality Brand”, “Best Video by a Tourism Board/DMO”, “Best Video by a Tourism Agency/Operator”, “Best Video by a Media Company”, “Best Video by a Lifestyle Brand”, and “Best Travel Video Advertisement”; and new special categories – “Culinary” and “Adventure Travel”.
- In the “STELLER” competition track, anyone will be eligible to submit their stories that were posted on Steller during 2019.
Eligible videos or stories need to have been first aired, published and/or distributed in the 2019 calendar year. Winners will be announced online on April 21, 2020 (“TVA 2020”).
- Predominant Authorship and Originality: The TVAs invite submissions of original creative Programs in which the Entrant either (1) in the INDEPENDENT or STELLER competition, owns or controls the rights in and to the Program; or (2) in the INDUSTRY or STELLER competition, i) owns or controls the IP (copyright); ii) sponsored, financed or commissioned the Program; or iii) is the public relations, marketing or advertising agency for the Entrant that can submit on behalf of Entrant. Any filmmaker submitting an entry in the INDUSTRY competition track will require written approval by the company and/or agent of the company that commissioned the Program being submitted.
- Previously submitted Programs to other festivals or competitions will be accepted.
- Partial Programs or Programs-in-progress will not be accepted.
- Completion and Air Date: Only Programs that have aired, been first published and/or been distributed digitally, during the 2019 calendar year, are eligible for submission.
- Open Participation: The competition is open to any creator/filmmaker, company or organization in the travel industry, any media/publishing brand as well as any non-travel industry/lifestyle brand that has created a “travel”-related Program embodying the goals and spirit of the TVAs.
- Legal Permissions: Anyone submitting a Program (“Entrant”) agrees to clear all licenses, copyrights, and permissions to ensure that the submitted Programs will be legally and ethically presented at TVA 2020, online at the TVA Awards website, mobile app, OTT and social platforms, on the TVA sponsors’ and partners’ websites, OTT, mobile and social platforms as well as Citizine’s, NAB’s, Steller’s and Obsesh’s (“Obsesh”) websites, mobile, OTT and social platforms (collectively “Platforms”). If an entity other than the Entrant owns the rights to all or part of the submitted Program, the Entrant must include l written consent or permission from the owner or an authorized representative of the owner on the entry form.
- Exhibition + Promotional Rights: By entering this competition the Entrant is confirming that they have permission or own the rights of exhibition and that they grant Citizine and the TVAs along with its partners and sponsors as well as NAB and Steller (collectively the “Parties”), the rights to exhibit the Program across all Platforms. The Parties have the right to use all or any portion of an Entrant’s Program to promote, market and advertise the TVAs across all Platforms, including, but not limited to, any promotional video created by Citizine/TVA for the TVAs and showcased at TVA 2020. Entrant agrees to all the terms outlined hereinbelow in the License Terms section (“License Terms”).
- Language: Programs must be in English or have English subtitles.
- Submission Deadline: All entries must be submitted online. Online submissions will be accepted from November 5, 2019 (starting at 12:01am PST) until February 16, 2020 (ending at 11:59pm PST). Nominees will officially be notified on March 15, 2020. Winners will be notified of the results on April 21, 2020 and will be available on the TVA website on April 22, 2020.
- All Entrants understand and agree that the Parties will not be responsible for any submissions that are either delayed, misdirected, lost, or corrupted, and are not received, available or accepted for judging in accordance with the deadlines above.
- All Entry submission fees are non-refundable.
- Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
- One Entry Form for Each Entry: The Entrant must complete one entire entry form for each Program submitted.
- Entry Stipulations / Limitations: An Entrant may enter as many Programs as desired, with the following restrictions:
- INDEPENDENT competition track – a single Program may be entered only once and in as many categories as applicable.
- INDUSTRY competition track – a single Program may be entered only once in the main category reflective of that Industry Entrant (e.g.: an airline can only submit a Program in the “Airline” category and not in the “Hospitality” category) as well as any applicable Special Category (i.e., Culinary and Adventure Travel).
- STELLER competition track – Entrants can submit as many Entries as desired.
- Choose the Appropriate Competition and Category – Entrants are responsible for submitting their Program to the appropriate competition and category. If Citizine determines that an entry does not fit the selected category, the entry may be reassigned or rejected.
- Entries must be hosted on one of the following video platforms (YouTube.com, Vimeo.com, VeeR.tv, SamsungVR.com or Steller.co) and a link to that video URL or to the Steller story URL must be provided as part of the submission process as well as the video must be embeddable. For all entries, once submitted, that video cannot be removed from that platform until April 21, 2021. For all nominees and winners, the nominated or winning video cannot be removed from that platform until April 21, 2021.
- All Entrants must be 18 years or older. All Entrants must have the proper identification to prove their age if they’re selected as nominees and/or winners and in order to receive any cash award or passes to TVA 2020 and NAB Show 2020.
- Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
- Entry Fee:
– INDEPENDENT and STELLER Tracks: $25 for up to first three (3) entries and $10 for each additional entry.
– INDUSTRY Track: $50 for up to first three (3) entries and $20 for each additional entry.
- Submission Process: Entrants must follow the online procedures for electronically submitting a Program. Submitted Programs that fail to work or are not comprehensible for any reason will result in the disqualification of the entry. Failure to properly complete any portion of the submission process (completing the online entry form and submitting the Program) by the February 16, 2020 deadline will disqualify the entry from the competition. If there’s an issue with the submission process, the TVA team can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Parties will not be responsible for any submissions that are either delayed, misdirected, lost, or corrupted, and are not received, available or accepted for judging.
Judging Process + Audience Voting
- Evaluation Criteria: Entries are evaluated according to the following criteria: 1) professionalism; 2) the use of aesthetic and/or creative elements; 3) sense of structure and timing; 4) production values; 5) technical merit; and 6) form and substance.
- Judging: A panel of jurors will select nominees and winners.
- Audience Voting: Visitors to the TVA website can vote one time for any Program once they’ve registered with Citizine. If there’s an issue with the voting process, the TVA team can be contacted via email at email@example.com
- Disqualification: The TVAs have the right to disqualify any nomination that intended to game the system, violates trademarks, infringes copyrights, impersonates others, invades privacy, makes threats of violence, promotes illegal activities, promotes pornography, spams, uses bots, scripts or other automated means for voting, engages in abusive behavior, or promises anything of value in exchange for a nomination or if the initial entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
Award Levels and Prizes
- Award Levels: The jurors will, at their sole discretion, review and determine the final ranking and award level for each winning entry as follows:
- INDEPENDENT competition track: 1) The Nomad Award (Best Overall INDEPENDENT Video) – The best video in the overall INDEPENDENT competition (across all INDEPENDENT categories) is eligible to receive the TVA Nomad Award with the winner receiving a $2,000 cash award; 2) Best Video in each category; and 3) Audience Award will be presented to the INDEPENDENT entry that received most online audience votes during the voting period between April 1, 2020 (starting at 12:01am PST) – April 15, 2020 (ending at 11:59pm PST). The Audience Award winner will receive a $1,000 cash award. All nominees and winners will be honored during a special awards ceremony at TVA 2020. Winners selected by the panel of jurors are based on the individual merit of an Entry and the decision of the panel is final. All prizes will be paid and/or shipped by no later than April 21, 2021.
- INDUSTRY/BRAND competition: 1) Best Video in each category; and the 2) Audience Award will be presented to the entry that received most online audience votes during the voting period between April 1, 2020 (starting at 12:01am PST) – April 15, 2020 (ending at 11:59pm PST). All nominees and winners will be honored during a special awards ceremony at TVA 2020. Winners selected by the panel of jurors are based on the individual merit of an Entry and the decision of the panel is final.
- STELLER AWARDS competition – winner(s) will be announced on April 21, 2010. One winner will receive a $1,000 cash prize. Winners selected by the panel of jurors are based on the individual merit of an Entry and the decision of the panel is final.
- Physical Award: Each winning Entrant will receive one physical award. All nominees and winners will receive a digital badge that can be used on any nominee’s and/or winner’s website and/or social platforms.
- Each participant hereunder (whether submitting, voting or otherwise) hereby releases, agrees to indemnify, and holds harmless the Parties, their affiliated and related companies, their partners and designees, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, companies and the directors, officers, agents, and employees of each of the foregoing from any and all liability for any and all claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction or property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light) arising out of their participation in The TVAs, use of any Program by the aforementioned Parties across their Platforms, and/or the unauthorized or illegal access to any Entrant’s personally identifiable information.
- Citizine and Steller reserve the right to change, revise, or update any rule, term, prize, award, or guideline at any time without notice.
- For good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, Entrant hereby irrevocably grants to Citizine and its successors, licensees, and assigns a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use, incorporate, edit, modify, alter, reproduce, and create derivative works from (i) the submitted Program and its title, logo, trademarks, and all audiovisual material contained in the Program; (ii) the name, voice, likeness, photograph, image, and performance of any individual in the Program; (iii) the name, logo, trademarks, and/or service marks of the submitted organization; (iv) those certain photographs submitted as part of the submission; and (iv) any and all other information, data, and/or material provided by Entrant and/or included in the submission made by Entrant on this Website (the “Licensed Material”) in and/or in connection with the TVAs for the purposes and in the manner set forth herein (“Licensed Rights”). Citizine shall have the right to use, incorporate, broadcast, exhibit, distribute, advertise, promote, market, publicize, and otherwise exploit the Licensed Material (in whole or in part and in combination with any other materials) in and/or in connection with the TVAs and any related or derivative programming (including, without limitation, any and all promotion, advertising, marketing, merchandising, publicity, distribution, exhibition and any other ancillary uses) in any and all manner, media, language, and formats, now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe in perpetuity.
- Entrant represents and warrants that: (i) Entrant owns and/or controls the Licensed Material, including the copyright therein, and/or has full right, power, and authority to enter into, fully perform, and grant the rights granted by Entrant and no other permission or license is required; (ii) by entering into this competition and granting the rights granted herein, it is not and will not be in violation of the terms of any agreement or understanding to which Entrant is party; (iii) the Licensed Material does not and will not infringe upon the rights or interests of any third party; (iv) all elements within the Licensed Material are either original with Entrant or Entrant has acquired all necessary rights, licenses, permissions, and/or consent necessary for the use of such elements, including, but not limited to, all video and musical elements, master recordings, and synchronization rights; (v) Entrant has made the submission voluntarily and Entrant will not be entitled to receive any financial compensation of any type associated with the use of the Licensed Materials in the Program or otherwise; and (vi) the Licensed Material is free and clear of any liens or claims with respect to the use of such Licensed Material in the manner authorized herein, and such use will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or claims for payment of re-use fees, residuals, royalties, or fees. Entrant expressly acknowledges that, if and to the extent that the Parties use or include the Licensed Material in connection with the TVAs, it will be in substantial reliance upon the foregoing representations and warranties.
- Entrant will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Parties, its partners, assignees, and/or licensees, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, consultants, employees, successors, licensees, agents, and assigns (“Licensee Parties”) from and against any claim, demand, action, damages, loss, expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), and other liabilities arising from actions brought by third parties for (a) any breach of any of the representations, warranties, or agreements made by entrant hereunder; (b) the use of any Program by the aforementioned Parties across their Platforms or at the TVAs; or (c) a claim that the use of any or all of the Licensed Material infringes any intellectual property right(s) of such party. Licensee will promptly notify Entrant of any such claim. Entrant will bear full responsibility for the defense of any such claim. Entrant will keep the Parties informed of, and consult with, the Parties in connection with the progress of any litigation or settlement of any such claim. Entrant will not have any right, without the Parties’ written consent, to settle any such claim if such settlement obligates the Parties to make or contribute to a monetary payment; arises from or is part of any criminal or quasi-criminal action, suit, or proceeding; or contains a stipulation, admission, or acknowledgment of any liability or wrongdoing (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) on the part of any of the Licensee Parties. Entrant will reimburse the Parties promptly upon demand for any payment made by the Parties at any time to which the foregoing indemnity applies.
- Entrant acknowledges that Citizine is under no obligation to produce or distribute the Program or to use, exploit, or include the Licensed Material in the TVAs. Citizine has no obligation to compensate Entrant for the use of the Licensed Material. Entrant acknowledges and agrees that in no event will Entrant seek or be entitled to seek injunctive or other equitable relief, to enjoin the development, production, exhibition, distribution, broadcast, advertising, marketing, promotion, or exploitation of the Program or to rescind or terminate this Agreement.
- The Parties acknowledge that their use of the Licensed Material will not affect Entrant’s continued and separate copyright ownership of the Licensed Material. Entrant acknowledges that Citizine will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest in and to the TVAs, and whether or not the Licensed Material is used or included in or in connection with the TVAs, Entrant will acquire no rights whatsoever in or to the TVAs.
- Citizine will be entitled to assign all or any portion of the rights and licenses granted herein and will be entitled to assign this Agreement, in whole or in part, to any person, firm or corporation. This Agreement is binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the respective licensees, successors, and assigns of both Entrant and Citizine.
- This Agreement sets forth the entire understanding of the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof, and there are no other representations, understandings or agreements between the parties relative to such subject matter. This Agreement and all questions arising hereunder will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws and decisions of the State of California without giving effect to the principles thereof relating to the conflicts of law, and the parties hereto agree that any suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement shall be instituted exclusively in the state or federal courts situated in the Los Angeles County, California.
Citizine Intellectual Property.
- Trademarks. Citizine, Citizine logos, the Travel Video Alliance, Travel Video Alliance logos, the Travel Video Awards and the Travel Video Awards logos are trademarks/service marks of Citizine. Unauthorized use of any Citizine trademark, service mark or logo may be a violation of federal and state trademark laws.
- Copyright. The TVA website (“Site”) and the content made available through the Site are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Except as authorized in this terms of service, you may not use, modify, reproduce or distribute any of the content, or the design or layout of the Site, or individual sections of the content, design or layout of the site without Citizine’s express prior written permission.
- Copyright Agent. Citizine respects the intellectual property rights of others, and requires that the people who use the sites do the same. Citizine maintains a policy of termination in appropriate circumstances of users who use the site for repeat infringements. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please forward the following information to the Copyright Agent, designated as such pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(2), named below:
- Your address, telephone number, and email address;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the alleged infringing material is located;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by you, the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Copyright Agent: Legal Department
Citizine Networks, Inc. c/.o Ignited Spaces
7080 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Location. The Site is operated by Citizine in the United States. Those who choose to access the Sites from locations outside the United States do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws.
Restrictions and Conditions of Use.
- Use of Site. Citizine permits you to view and use a single copy of the Site solely for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to license, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or re-sell any information, content, or services obtained from the Site. Citizine reserves the right to add or remove information, content from the Site at any time at its sole discretion. Citizine shall retain all right, title and interest in and to any technology, intellectual property or other assets or property developed by Citizine in connection with the Site being offered to you by Citizine. Citizine’s ownership includes the video tagging, embedding technology, and exclusive rights to the term “PlaceList”, which outlines the places listed and tagged in the videos and incorporated into the Citizine embeddable player. The Citizine embeddable player will include a “Powered by Citizine” text and logo, located at the bottom right side of the player that will link out to Citizine. You agree not to decompile, disassemble, decode, reproduce, redesign, or reverse engineer Citizine’s technology, including the Citizine video tagging or embeddable player technology, or any part thereof.
- No Violation of Laws. You agree that you will not, in connection with your use of the Site, violate any applicable law or regulation. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that you will not make available through the Site any material or information that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other right of any party (including rights of privacy or publicity).
- Misuse of Site. You may not connect to or use the Site in any way not expressly permitted by this terms of service. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that you will not: (a) institute, assist, or become involved in any type of attack, including without limitation denial of service attacks, upon the Site or otherwise attempt to disrupt the Site or any other person’s use of the Site; or (b) attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site, accounts registered to other users, or the computer systems or networks connected to the Site. Furthermore, you may not use the Site to develop, generate, transmit or store information that: (i) is defamatory, harmful, abusive, obscene or hateful; (ii) in any way obstructs or otherwise interferes with the normal performance of another person’s use of the Site; (iii) performs any unsolicited commercial communication not permitted by applicable law; (iv) constitutes harassment or a violation of privacy or threatens other people or groups of people; (v) is harmful to children in any manner; (vi) violates any applicable law, regulation or ordinance; (vii) makes any false, misleading or deceptive statement or representation regarding Citizine and/or the Site; (viii) constitutes phishing, pharming or impersonates any other person, or steals or assumes any person’s identity (whether a real identity or online nickname or alias); or (ix) generates artificial, automated or fraudulent views of pages or videos or ‘clicks’ on advertisements or offers.
- No Commercial Uses. You agree that you will not use the Site for any commercial purpose or the benefit of any third party or charge any person, or receive any compensation for the use of the Site.